[gpfsug-discuss] HAWC compare to regular pagepool

Pavel Pokorny pavel.pokorny at datera.cz
Fri Jan 1 19:22:15 GMT 2016

Hello,
I would like to ask whether I understand HAWC functionality correctly
especially compare to regular pagepool behavior.

Regular pagepool behavior:

   1. Application on a node makes write call.
   2. Data is moved from application data buffer to page pool buffer.
   3. If not using direct IO (open with O_DIRECT or set the -D attribute);
   at this point, the application has completed the write system call and GPFS
   acknowledge write.

My understanding is that with HAWC this behavior is very similar with the
difference that at step 3 data are also stored in nonvolatile storage on
client.
Am I correct? This will mean that HAWC is giving us mainly data hardening
and for direct writes also performance.
Thanks, Pavel

--
Ing. Pavel Pokorný
DATERA s.r.o. | Hadovitá 962/10 | Praha | Czech Republic