[gpfsug-discuss] Tiers

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Dec 15 20:47:12 GMT 2016

Hi Mark,

We’re a “traditional” university HPC center with a very untraditional policy on our scratch filesystem … we don’t purge it and we sell quota there.  Ultimately, a lot of that disk space is taken up by stuff that, let’s just say, isn’t exactly in active use.

So what we’ve done, for example, is buy a 60-bay storage array and stuff it with 8 TB drives.  It wouldn’t offer good enough performance for actively used files, but we use GPFS policies to migrate files to the “capacity” pool based on file atime.  So we have 3 pools:

1.  the system pool with metadata only (on SSDs)
2.  the data pool, which is where actively used files are stored and which offers decent performance
3.  the capacity pool, for data which hasn’t been accessed “recently”, and which is on slower storage

I would imagine others do similar things.  HTHAL…

Kevin