[gpfsug-discuss] Ceph RBD Volumes and GPFS?

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 13 04:05:08 GMT 2016

Hi Bob,

I have not, although I started to go down that path. I had wanted
erasure coded pools but in order to front an erasure coded pool with an
RBD volume you apparently need a cache tier? Seems that doesn't give one
the performance they might want for this type of workload
(http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/#a-word-of-caution).
If you're OK replicating the data I suspect it might work well.

I did try sheepdog (https://sheepdog.github.io/sheepdog/) and that did
work the way I wanted it to with erasure coding and gave me pretty good
performance to boot.

-Aaron

On 12/12/16 8:55 AM, Oesterlin, Robert wrote:
> Has anyone tried using Ceph RBD volumes with GPFS? I’m guessing that it
> will work, but I’m not sure if IBM would support it.
>

> Bob Oesterlin
> Sr Principal Storage Engineer, Nuance

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776