[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 3.5 to 4.1 Upgrade Question

Eric Horst erich at uw.edu
Sat Dec 10 05:31:39 GMT 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Aaron Knister <aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov>
wrote:

> Also, if anyone has done a rolling 3.5 to 4.1 upgrade and has any
> anecdotes they'd like to share, I would like to hear them.

I recently did a rolling upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1 to 4.2 on two different
clusters. Two things:

Upgrading from 3.5 to 4.1 I did node at a time and then at the end
mmchconfig release=LATEST. Minutes after flipping to latest the cluster
became non-responsive, with node mmfs panics and everything had to be
restarted. Logs indicated it was a quota problem. In 4.1 the quota files
move from externally visible files to internal hidden files. I suspect the
quota file transition can't be done without a cluster restart. When I did
the second cluster I upgraded all nodes and then very quickly stopped and
started the entire cluster, issuing the mmchconfig in the middle. No quota
panic problems on that one.

Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2 I did node at a time and then at the end
mmchconfig release=LATEST. No cluster restart. Everything seemed to work
okay. Later, restarting a node I got weird fstab errors on gpfs startup and
using certain commands, notably mmfind, the command would fail with
something like "can't find /dev/uwfs" (our filesystem.) I restarted the
whole cluster and everything began working normally. In this case 4.2 got
rid of /dev/fsname. Just like in the quota case it seems that this
transition can't be seamless. Doing the second cluster I upgraded all nodes
and then again quickly restarted gpfs to avoid the same problem.

Other than these two quirks, I heartily thank IBM for making a very complex
product with a very easy upgrade procedure. I could imagine many ways that
an upgrade hop of two major versions in two weeks could go very wrong but
the quality of the product and team makes my job very easy.

-Eric