[gpfsug-discuss] Upgrading kernel on RHEL

mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 1 23:50:16 GMT 2016

In the message dated: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:56:25 +0000,
The pithy ruminations from Luis Bolinches on
<Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Upgrading kernel on RHEL> were:
=> Its been around in certain cases, some kernel <-> storage combination get
=> hit some not
=>
=> Scott referenced it here https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis
=> /home?lang=en#!/wiki/General+Parallel+File+System+%28GPFS%29/page/
=> Storage+with+GPFS+on+Linux
=>
=> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2437991
=>
=> It happens also on 7.2 and 7.3 ppc64 (not yet on the list of "supported")
=> it does not on 7.1. I can confirm this at least for XIV storage, that it
=> can go up to 1024 only.
=>
=> I know the FAQ will get updated about this, at least there is a CMVC that
=> states so.
=>
=> Long short, you create a FS, and you see all your paths die and recover and
=> die and receover and ..., one after another. And it never really gets done.
=> Also if you boot from SAN ... well you can figure it out ;)

Wow, that sounds extremely similar to a kernel bug/incompatibility with GPFS that I reported in May:

	https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9140337/
	https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=10997

My conclusion is not to apply kernel updates, unless strictly necessary (Dirty COW, anyone) or tested & validated with GPFS.

Mark

=>
=>
=> --
=> Ystävällisin terveisin / Kind regards / Saludos cordiales / Salutations
=>
=> Luis Bolinches
=> Lab Services
=> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/services/labservices/
=>
=> IBM Laajalahdentie 23 (main Entrance) Helsinki, 00330 Finland
=> Phone: +358 503112585
=>
=> "If you continually give you will continually have." Anonymous
=>
=>
=>