[gpfsug-discuss] CES and mmuserauth command

Christof Schmitt christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 26 00:49:12 BST 2016

To clarify and expand on some of these:

--servers takes the AD Domain Controller that is contacted first during
configuration. Later and during normal operations the list of DCs is
retrieved from DNS and the fastest (or closest one according to the AD
sites) is used. The initially one used does not have a special role.

--idmap-role allows dedicating one cluster as a master, and a second
cluster (e.g. a AFM replication target) as "subordinate". Only the master
will allocate idmap ranges which can then be imported to the subordiate to
have consistent id mappings.

--idmap-range-size and --idmap-range are used for the internal idmap
allocation which is used for every domain that is not explicitly using
another domain. "man idmap_autorid" explains the approach taken. As long
as the default does not overlap with any other ids, that can be used.

The "netbios" name is used to create the machine account for the cluster
when joining the AD domain. That is how the AD administrator will identify
the CES cluster. It is also important in SMB deployments when Kerberos
should be used with SMB: The same names as the netbios name has to be
defined in DNS for the public CES IP addresses. When the name matches,
then SMB clients can acquire a Kerberos ticket from AD to establish a SMB
connection.

When joinging the AD domain, --user-name, --password and --server are only
used to initially identify and logon to the AD and to create the machine
account for the cluster. Once that is done, that information is no longer
used, and e.g. the account from --user-name could be deleted, the password
changed or the specified DC could be removed from the domain (as long as
other DCs are remaining).

Regards,

Christof Schmitt || IBM || Spectrum Scale Development || Tucson, AZ
christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com  ||  +1-520-799-2469    (T/L: 321-2469)