[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS FPO

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Tue Aug 23 03:37:00 BST 2016

Yes, indeed. Note that these are my personal opinions.

It seems to work quite well and it's not terribly hard to set up or get
running. That said, if you've got a traditional HPC cluster with
reasonably good bandwidth (and especially if your data is already on the
HPC cluster) I wouldn't bother with FPO and just use something like
magpie (https://github.com/LLNL/magpie) to run your hadoopy workload on
GPFS on your traditional HPC cluster. I believe FPO (and by extension
data locality) is important when the available bandwidth between your
clients and servers/disks (in a traditional GPFS environment) is less
than the bandwidth available within a node (e.g. between your local
disks and the host CPU).

-Aaron

On 8/22/16 10:23 PM, Brian Marshall wrote:
> Does anyone have any experiences to share (good or bad) about setting up
> and utilizing FPO for hadoop compute on top of GPFS?

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776