[gpfsug-discuss] quota on secondary groups for a user?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Aug 3 20:13:09 BST 2016

On 03/08/16 19:34, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Hi Jaime / Sven,
>
> If Jaime’s interpretation is correct about user1 continuing to be able
> to write to “group2” files even though that group is at their hard
> limit, then that’s a bug that needs fixing.  I haven’t tested that
> myself, and we’re in a downtime right now so I’m a tad bit busy, but if
> I need to I’ll test it on our test cluster later this week.

Even if Jamie's interpretation is wrong it shows the other massive
failure of group quotas under Unix and why they are not fit for purpose
in the real world.

So bufh here can deliberately or accidentally do a denial of service on
other users and tracking down the offending user is a right pain in the
backside.

The point of being able to change group ownership on a file is to
indicate the massive weakness of the whole group quota system, and why
in my experience nobody actually uses it, and "project" quota options
have been implemented in many "enterprise" Unix file systems.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.