[gpfsug-discuss] quota on secondary groups for a user?

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 3 19:30:08 BST 2016

Quoting "Buterbaugh, Kevin L" <Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu>:

> Hi Sven,
>
> Wait - am I misunderstanding something here?  Let?s say that I have
> ?user1? who has primary group ?group1? and secondary group ?group2?.
>   And let?s say that they write to a directory where the bit on the
> directory forces all files created in that directory to have group2
> associated with them.  Are you saying that those files still count
> against group1?s group quota???
>
> Thanks for clarifying?
>
> Kevin

Not really,

My interpretation is that all files written with group2 will count
towards the quota on that group. However any users with group2 as the
primary group will be prevented from writing any further when the
group2 quota is reached. However the culprit user1 with primary group
as group1 won't be detected by gpfs, and can just keep going on
writing group2 files.

As far as the individual user quota, it doesn't matter: group1 or
group2 it will be counted towards the usage of that user.

It would be interesting if the behavior was more as expected. I just
checked with my Lustre counter-parts and they tell me whichever
secondary group is hit first, however many there may be, the user will
be stopped. The problem then becomes identifying which of the
secondary groups hit the limit for that user.

Jaime