[gpfsug-discuss] quota on secondary groups for a user?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Aug 3 17:44:01 BST 2016

On 03/08/16 17:22, Jaime Pinto wrote:
> Suppose I want to set both USR and GRP quotas for a user, however GRP is
> not the primary group. Will gpfs enforce the secondary group quota for
> that user?

Nope that's not how POSIX schematics work for group quotas. As far as I
can tell only your primary group is used for group quotas. It basically
makes group quotas in Unix a waste of time in my opinion. At least I
have never come across a real world scenario where they work in a useful
manner.

> What I mean is, if the user keeps writing files with secondary group as
> the attribute, and that overall group quota is reached, will that user
> be stopped by gpfs?

File sets are the answer to your problems, but retrospectively applying
them to a file system is a pain. You create a file set for a directory
and can then apply a quota to the file set. Even better you can apply
per file set user and group quotas. So if file set A has a 1TB quota you
could limit user X to 100GB in the file set, but outside the file set
they could have a different quota or even no quota.

Only issue is a limit of ~10,000 file sets per file system

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.