[gpfsug-discuss] SMB access speed

Laurence Alexander Hurst (IT Services) L.A.Hurst at bham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 17:22:48 BST 2016

On 29/04/2016 17:07, "gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf
of Aslam Ghumra (IT Services, Facilities Management)"
A.K.Ghumra at bham.ac.uk> wrote:

>Many thanks Yaron, after the change to disable encryption we were able to
>increase the speed via Ubuntu of copying files from the local desktop to
>our gpfs filestore with average speeds of 60Mbps.
>
>We also tried changing the mount from vers=3.0 to vers=2.1, which gave
>similar figures
>
>However, using the Ubuntu gui ( Unity ) the speed drops down to 7Mbps,
>however, we¹re not concerned as the user will use rsync / cp.
>

>The other issue is copying data from gpfs filestore to the local HDD,
>which resulted in 4Mbps.
>
>Aslam Ghumra
>Research Data Management

I wonder if Unity uses what used to be called the "gnome virtual
filesystem" to connect.  It may be using it's own implementation that's
not such a well written samba/cifs (which ever they are using) client than
the implementation used if you mount it "properly" with
mount.smb/mount.cifs.

Laurence
--
Laurence Hurst
Research Computing, IT Services, University of Birmingham
e: l.a.hurst at bham.ac.uk