[gpfsug-discuss] SMB access speed

Aslam Ghumra (IT Services, Facilities Management) A.K.Ghumra at bham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:11:35 BST 2016

As Simon has reported, the speed of access on Linux system are slow.

We've just used the mount command as below

mount -t cifs -o vers=3.0 -o domain=ADF -o username=USERNAME -o noperm //<<exported filestore>> /media/mnt1

However we've seen other users

The users we've been talking to use Ubuntu,

version 14.04

Smbclient version : Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu
Mount.cifs version is : 6.0

version 15.10

Smbclient version : Version 4.3.8-Ubuntu
Mount.cifs version is : 6.4

We've run the same tests and have seen similar speeds around 6Gbps, whereas windows gives is around 40Gbps

The machine is connected via ethernet cable and we've also had one user add the export as part of the /etc/fstab file, but the issues of speed still persist whether you use the mount command or use the fstab file.

I've not tested on centos / redhat but will do that and report back.

Aslam Ghumra
Research Data Management
____________________________
IT Services