[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup and filenames

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Apr 20 19:26:27 BST 2016

On 20/04/16 17:23, Scott Cumbie wrote:
> You should open a PMR.  This is not a “feature” request, this is a
> failure of the code to work as it should.

I did at least seven years ago. I shall see if I can find the reference
in my old notebooks tomorrow. Unfortunately one has gone missing so I
might not have the reference.

I do however wonder if the newlines really are newlines and not some UTF
multibyte character that looks like a newline when you parse it as
ASCII/ISO-8859-1 or some other legacy encoding?

In my experience you have to try really really hard to actually get a
newline into a file name. Mostly because the GUI will interpret pressing
the return/enter key to think you have finished typing the file name
rather than inserting a newline into the file name.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.