[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup and filenames

Robert Horton r.horton at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 16:58:54 BST 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 12:15 +0000, Simon Thompson (Research Computing -
IT Services) wrote:
> We use mmbackup with Spectrum Protect (TSM!) to backup our
> file-systems,
> on one we run CES/SMB and run a sync and share tool as well. This
> means we
> sometimes end up with filenames containing characters like newline
> (e.g.
> From OSX clients). Mmbackup fails on these filenames, any suggestions
> on
> how we can get it to work?

I've not had to do do anything with TSM for a couple of years but when I
did as a workaround to that I had a wrapper that called mmbackup and
then parsed the output and for any files it couldn't handle due to
non-ascii characters then called the tsm backup command directly on the
whole directory. This does mean some stuff is getting backed up more
than necessary but if it's only a handful of files it's a reasonable
workaround.

Rob
--
Robert Horton