[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup and filenames

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Apr 20 16:05:16 BST 2016

All,

I would like to see this issue get resolved as it has caused us problems as well.  We recently had an issue that necessitated us restoring 9.6 million files (out of 260 million) in a filesystem.  We were able to restore a little over 8 million of those files relatively easily, but more than a million have been problematic due to various special characters in the filenames.

I think there needs to be a recognition that TSM is going to be asked to back up filesystems that are used by Windows and Mac clients via NFS, SAMBA/CTDB, CES, etc., and that the users of those clients cannot be expected to not choose filenames that Unix-savvy users would never in a million years choose.

And since I had to write some scripts to generate md5sums of files we restored and therefore had to deal with things in filenames that had me asking “what in the world were they thinking?!?", I fully recognize that this is not an easy nut to crack.

My 2 cents worth…

Kevin