[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 4.2 and 4.1 in multi-cluster environment

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Apr 14 19:22:41 BST 2016

Hi All,

We have a multi-cluster environment consisting of:  1) a “traditional” HPC cluster running on commodity hardware, and 2) a DDN based cluster which is mounted to the HPC cluster and also exports to researchers around campus using both CNFS and SAMBA / CTDB.  Both of these cluster are currently running GPFS 4.1.0.8 efix 21.

We are considering doing upgrades in May.  I would like to take the HPC cluster to GPFS 4.2.0.x not just because that’s the current version, but to get some of the QoS features introduced in 4.2.

However, it may not be possible to take the DDN cluster to GPFS 4.2.  I’ve got another inquiry in to them about their plans, but the latest information I have is that they only support up thru GPFS 4.1.1.x.

I know that it should be possible to run with the HPC cluster at GPFS 4.2.0.x and the DDN cluster at 4.1.1.x … my question is - is anyone actually doing that?  Any suggestions / warnings?

I should mention that this question is motivated by the fact that a couple of years ago when both clusters were running GPFS 3.5.0.x, we got them out of sync on the PTF levels (I think the HPC cluster was at PTF 19 and the DDN cluster at PTF 11) and it caused problems.  Because of that, we have tried to keep them in sync as much as possible.

Thanks in advance, all…

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633