[gpfsug-discuss] ILM and Backup Question

makaplan at us.ibm.com makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 28 14:48:11 GMT 2015

IF you see one or more status messages like this:

[I] %2$s Parallel-piped sort and policy evaluation. %1$llu files scanned.
%3$s

Then you are getting the (potentially) fastest version of the GPFS inode
and policy scanning algorithm.
You may also want to adjust the -a and -A options of the mmapplypolicy
command, as mentioned in the command documentation.

Oh I see the documentation for -A is wrong in many versions of the manual.
 There is an attempt to automagically estimate the proper number of
buckets, based on the inodes allocated count.  If you want to investigate
performance more I recommend you use our debug option -d 7 or set
environment
variable MM_POLICY_DEBUG_BITS=7 - this will show you how the work is
divided among the nodes and threads.

--marc of GPFS