[gpfsug-discuss] ILM and Backup Question

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Oct 27 10:47:43 GMT 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 14:22 -0800, Wayne Sawdon wrote:

[SNIP]

> > can you do a synthetic recreate of the TSM HSM tape from backups?
>
> TSM stores data from backups and data from HSM in different pools. A
> file that is both HSM'ed and backed up will have at least two copies
> of data off-line. I suspect that losing a tape from the HSM pool will
> have no effect on the backup pool, but you should verify that with
> someone from TSM.

I am pretty sure that you have to restore the files first from backup,
and it is a manual process. Least it was for me when a HSM tape went bad
in the past. Had to use TSM to generate a list of the files on the HSM
tape, and then feed that in to a dsmc restore, before doing a reconcile
and removing the tape from the library for destruction.

Finally all the files where punted back to tape.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.