[gpfsug-discuss] ILM and Backup Question

Stephan Graf st.graf at fz-juelich.de
Mon Oct 26 08:43:33 GMT 2015

Hi!

We at Jülich Supercomputing Centre have two ILM managed file systems  (GPFS and HSM from TSM).
    #50 mio files + 10 PB data on tape
    #30 mio files + 8 PB data on tape

For backup we use mmbackup (dsmc)
    for the user HOME directory (no ILM)
    #120 mio files => 3 hours get candidate list + x hour backup

We use also mmbackup for the ILM managed filesystem.
    Policy: the file must be backed up first before migrated to tape
    2-3 hour for candidate list + x hours/days/weeks backups (!!!)
    -> a metadata change (e.g. renaming a directory by the user) enforces a new backup of the files which causes a very expensive tape inline copy!

Greetings from Jülich, Germany
Stephan