[gpfsug-discuss] Independent Inode Space Limit

Scott Fadden sfadden at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 23 13:42:14 BST 2015

GPFS limits the max inodes based on metadata space. Add more metadata space
and you should be able to add more inodes.

Scott Fadden
Spectrum Scale - Technical Marketing
Phone: (503) 880-5833
sfadden at us.ibm.com
http://www.ibm.com/systems/storage/spectrum/scale

From:	"Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services)"
            <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk>
To:	gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
Date:	10/23/2015 09:05 AM
Subject:	Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Independent Inode Space Limit
Sent by:	gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

>When creating an independent inode space, I see the valid range for the
>number of inodes is between 1024 and 4294967294.
>
>Is the ~4.2billion upper limit something that can be increased in the
>future?
>
>I also see that the first 1024 inodes are immediately allocated upon
>creation. I assume these are allocated to internal data structures and
>are a copy of a subset of the first 4038 inodes allocated for new file
>systems? It would be useful to know if these internal structures are
>fixed for independent filesets and if they are not, what factors
>determine their layout (for performance purposes).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone from IBM know?

Thanks

Simon