[gpfsug-discuss] Placement policies and copies

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 30 16:27:34 GMT 2015

Hi,

I have a file system which has the default number of data copies set to 2.

I now have some data Id like to have which only has 1 copy made. I know that files and directories don't inherit 1 copy based on their parent.

Can I do this with a placement rule to change the number of copies to 1?

I don't really want to have to find the file afterwards and fix up as that requires an mmrestripefs to clear the second copy.

Or if I have a pool which only has nsd disks in a single failure group and use a placement policy for that, would that work? Or will gpfs forever warn me that due to fs changes I have data at risk?

Thanks

Simon