[gpfsug-discuss] How can we give read access to GPFS data with restricting data copy.

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Nov 26 23:21:22 GMT 2015

On 26/11/15 15:47, Tushar Pathare wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Is it possible to share the data on GPFS and  disabling data copy.
>
> It is possible through ACLs.

I don't believe that what you are asking is technically possible in any
mainstream operating system/file system combination. It certainly cannot
be achieved with ACL's whether Posix, NSFv4 or NTFS.

The only way to achieve this sort of thing is using digital rights
management which is way beyond the scope of a file system in itself.
These are all application specific. In addition these are invariable all
a busted flush anyway. Torrents of movies etc. are all the proof one
needs of this.

The short and curlies are if then end user can view the data in any
meaningful way to them, then they can make a copy of that data. From a
file system perspective you can't defeat the following command line.

$ cat readonly_file > my_evil_copy

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.