[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and High Availability , GPFS and the System i (AS/400 )

Scott Fadden sfadden at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 11 19:12:05 GMT 2015

It is probably not what you are looking for, but I did implement a two node
HA solution using callbacks for SNMP. You could do something like that in
the near term.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/General%20Parallel%20File%20System%20%28GPFS%29/page/Implementing%20a%20GPFS%20HA%20SNMP%20configuration%20using%20Callbacks

Scott Fadden
Spectrum Scale - Technical Marketing
Phone: (503) 880-5833
sfadden at us.ibm.com
http://www.ibm.com/systems/storage/spectrum/scale

From:	"service at metamodul.com" <service at metamodul.com>
To:	gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
Date:	11/11/2015 08:58 AM
Subject:	[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and High Availability ,	GPFS and the
            System i (AS/400 )
Sent by:	gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

@IBM

GPFS and HA

GPFS has now the so called protocol nodes which do provide a HA environment
for NFS and SAMBA.
I assume its based on the CTDB since the CTDB is currently supporting a few
protocols already.*

What i would like to see is a generic HA interface using GPFS. It could be
based on the CTDB , native GPFS callbacks or any service providing HA
functionality based on a clustered FS.
Such a service would allow - only with minor extentions - to make almost
any service (Oracle,DB2,FTP,SSH,NFS,CRON,TSM  a.s.o )  HA.
So IMHO the current approach is a little bit shortsighted.

GPFS and System i
 I looking forward the day we have a SQL interface/API to GPFS. Thus
storing DB objects natively on a GPFS thus not using any kind of addional
DB files.
Now if you would have such an interface what about a general modern
language which supportr SQL and is multi node runable ?

Who knows ... Maybe the AS/400 gets reinvented

cheers
Hajo

Reference:
 * https://ctdb.samba.org/documentation.html