[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS UG USA

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu May 28 17:36:49 BST 2015

All,

I would love to see this meeting held in the US and would echo Bryan’s comments about issues with holding it in conjunction with SC.  I would prefer it not be held in conjunction with SC for those reasons and will add another one … lately the SC committee has become incredibly unimaginative in selecting the conference location (“let’s see, where did we have it 5 years ago?  Ok, let’s have it there again”).  Boring!

I’m not advocating that it has to be somewhere exotic or anything like that, but Austin (or New Orleans!) sure doesn’t thrill my soul…

Kevin

On May 28, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Bryan Banister <bbanister at jumptrading.com<mailto:bbanister at jumptrading.com>> wrote:

The issues that I see with the meeting at the SC conferences are:
1) It's usually only scheduled for a 2-3 hour time slot, which is not adequate time for a proper meeting like we have in the UK, which will likely expand to two full days!
2) It usually conflicts with so many other sessions, "user group" meetings, birds of a feather, Intel or other company training/presentations, or my own company outings and more.  Last SC I had to choose between the DDN and GPFS "User Group" meetings.  You can't be in all places at the same time!

Perhaps we could still hold a US based GPFS User Group Meeting at SC'15 in Austin, but I would still want two days for the meeting either before or after the event... that would mean it would require days on the weekend before or after the conference.

Look forward to hearing other member's thoughts,
-Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org<mailto:gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org> [mailto:gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org] On Behalf Of Zachary Giles
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:22 AM
To: gpfsug main discussion list
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] GPFS UG USA

I would go!

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk<mailto:S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk>> wrote:

The format of th sc meeting was similar to that of the UK group with a mix of customer and ibm presentations. Though I guess as it coincides with SC, the customers there will mostly be HPC related customers where as gpfs ug is supposed to be a mix of industries.

I think there were also more techies from IBM at the UK meeting than the sc meeting. I know they need to find a bigger space and more time in Austin!

Simon