[gpfsug-discuss] mmunlinkfileset problems

Luke Raimbach luke.raimbach at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 27 12:16:16 GMT 2015

Hi All,

I'm having a problem where unlinking a fileset is taking 7 or 8 minutes to complete. We are running 3.5.0.22 and the cluster is small (9 nodes: 8 Linux plus 1 Windows node), one file system remote mounted by a 3-node Linux cluster, and generally not very busy.

I wouldn't expect mmunlinkfileset to require the file system to quiesce (and even if it did 8 minutes would seem like an awfully long time). Previous unlink commands (on version 3.5.0.19) have returned within milliseconds.

This very long running command appeared to pause IO for a sufficiently long time that cNFS clients timed out too and various services elsewhere crashed.

Is there any reason why unlinking a fileset would take this long? Also, I can't find anywhere a list of commands which might require the FS to quiesce - is this information available somewhere?

Cheers,
Luke.

--

Luke Raimbach