[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Jun 19 16:15:44 BST 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 10:56 -0400, Zachary Giles wrote:
> I think it's technically possible to run GNR on unsupported trays. You
> may have to do some fiddling with some of the scripts, and/or you wont
> get proper reporting.
> Of course it probably violates 100 licenses etc etc etc.
> I don't know of anyone who's done it yet. I'd like to do it.. I think
> it would be great to learn it deeper by doing this.

One imagines that GNR uses the SCSI enclosure services to talk to the
shelves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_Enclosure_Services
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SES-2_Enclosure_Management

Which would suggest that anything that supported these would work.

I did some experimentation with a spare EXP810 shelf a few years ago on
a FC-AL on Linux. Kind all worked out the box. The other experiment with
an EXP100 didn't work so well; with the EXP100 it would only work with
the 250GB and 400GB drives that came with the dam thing. With the EXP810
I could screw random SATA drives into it and it all worked. My
investigations concluded that the firmware on the EXP100 shelf
determined if the drive was supported, but I could not work out how to
upload modified firmware to the shelf.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.