[gpfsug-discuss] data interface and management infercace.

Salvatore Di Nardo sdinardo at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 11:07:28 BST 2015

Hello guys.
Quite a while ago i mentioned that we have a big  expel issue on our gss
( first gen) and white a lot people suggested that the root cause could
be that we use the same interface for all the traffic, and that we
should split the data network from the admin network. Finally we could
plan a downtime and we are migrating the data out so, i can soon safelly
play with the change, but looking what exactly i should to do i'm a bit
puzzled. Our mmlscluster looks like this:

            GPFS cluster information
            ========================
               GPFS cluster name: GSS.ebi.ac.uk
               GPFS cluster id: 17987981184946329605
               GPFS UID domain: GSS.ebi.ac.uk
               Remote shell command: /usr/bin/ssh
               Remote file copy command: /usr/bin/scp

            GPFS cluster configuration servers:
            -----------------------------------
               Primary server:    gss01a.ebi.ac.uk
               Secondary server:  gss02b.ebi.ac.uk

              Node  Daemon node name    IP address  Admin node name
            Designation
                1   gss01a.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.2   gss01a.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager
                2   gss01b.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.3   gss01b.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager
                3   gss02a.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.67  gss02a.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager
                4   gss02b.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.66  gss02b.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager
                5   gss03a.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.34  gss03a.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager
                6   gss03b.ebi.ac.uk 10.7.28.35  gss03b.ebi.ac.uk
            quorum-manager

It was my understanding that the "admin node" should use a different
interface ( a 1g link copper should be fine), while the daemon node is
where the data was passing , so should point to the bonded 10g
interfaces.  but when i read the mmchnode man page i start to be quite
confused. It says:

--daemon-interface={hostname | ip_address}
                          Specifies  the  host  name or IP address _*to
be used by the GPFS daemons for node-to-node communication*_.  The host
name or IP address must refer to the communication adapter over which
the GPFS daemons communicate.
                          Alias interfaces are not allowed. Use the
original address or a name that is resolved by the host command to that
original address.

                    --admin-interface={hostname | ip_address}
                          Specifies the name of the node to be used by
GPFS administration commands when communicating between nodes. The admin
node name must be specified as an IP address or a hostname that is
resolved by the  host command
                          tothe desired IP address.  If the keyword
DEFAULT is specified, the admin interface for the node is set to be
equal to the daemon interface for the node.

What exactly means "node-to node-communications" ?
Means DATA or also the "lease renew", and the token communication
between the clients to get/steal the locks to be able to manage
concurrent write to thr same file?
Since we are getting expells ( especially when several clients contends
the same file ) i assumed i have to split this type of packages from the
data stream, but reading the documentation it looks to me that those
internal comunication between nodes use the daemon-interface wich i
suppose are used also for the data. so HOW exactly i can split them?
_**_

Thanks in advance,
Salvatore