[gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 protocol support

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 19:58:12 BST 2015

Hi Bob,

Thanks, I’ll have a look through the link Michael sent me and shout if I get stuck…

Looks a bit different to the previous way were we running this with ctdb etc.

Our protocol nodes are already running 7.1 (though CentOS which means the mmbuildgpl command doesn’t work, would be much nice of course if the init script detected the kernel had changed and did a build etc automagically …).

Simon

From: Bob Oesterlin <oester at gmail.com<mailto:oester at gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, 2 July 2015 17:02
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org<mailto:gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 protocol support

Hi Simon

I was part of a beta program for GPFS (ok, better start saying Spectrum Scale!) 4.1.1, so I've had some experience with the toolkit that installs the protocol nodes. The new protocol nodes MUST be RH7, so it's going to be a bit more of an involved process to migrate to this level than in the past. The GPFS server nodes/client nodes can remain at RH6 is needed.

Overall it works pretty well. You do have the option of doing things manually as well. The guide that describes it is pretty good. If you want to discuss the process in detail, I'd be happy to do so - a bit too much to cover over a mailing list.

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Storage Engineer, Nuance Communications
robert.oesterlin at nuance.com<mailto:robert.oesterlin at nuance.com>

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk<mailto:S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk>> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the new protocol support stuff in 4.1.1 yet?

>From what I can see, it wants to use the installer to add things like IBM Samba onto nodes in the cluster. The docs online seem to list manual installation as running the chef template, which is hardly manual...

1. Id like to know what is being run on my cluster
2. Its an existing install which was using sernet samba, so I don't want to go out and break anything inadvertently
3. My protocol nodes are in a multicluster, and I understand the installer doesn't support multicluster.

(the docs state that multicluster isn't supported but something like its expected to work).

So... Has anyone had a go at this yet and have a set of steps?

I've started unpicking the chef recipe, but just wondering if anyone had already had a go at this?

(and lets not start on the mildy bemusing error when you "enable" the service with "mmces service enable" (ces service not enabled) - there's other stuff to enable it)...

Simon