[gpfsug-discuss] First IBM developer blog post

Dean Hildebrand dhildeb at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 22 23:55:06 GMT 2015

Hi Ben,

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by opposite of the post?

Regarding erasure coding, I'm confident in saying that not all erasure
coding mechanisms were created equal, and I'm sure a deep dive on GPFS
Native RAID could be provided for you that would clearly show how it is
vastly superior in every way to the upcoming (1 year?) version of Swift
erasure coding...

On your other question regarding paging files out to an object store, that
is actually the exact feature provided by the upcoming MCStore feature that
was described at IBM Insight and IBM Enterprise in 2014.  Unfortunately
there isn't a lot of external info about these feature yet....

Dean Hildebrand
IBM Almaden Research Center