[gpfsug-discuss] Plugin Requirement / GUI

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Dec 14 17:04:43 GMT 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 17:28 +0100, Dietmar Fischer wrote:
> We keep hearing that customers, who have seen the new Spectrum Scale
> GUI, are asking for a "plugin" capability.
>
> Now there are many ways to offer a plugin capability and we are
> wondering what exactly is driving this request and what is required?
>
> Is it about using the new GUI and extending it by other potentially
> user defined panels and data (performance, health, state, events,
> configuration, ...) and if so, what exactly?
> Or would you like to use data from the GUI to be used in other tools
> or dashboards and if so, which information?
>
> I am looking forward to getting your feedback and better understanding
> the requirement(s)!

The idea revolves I think around the sort of things that you can do in
SMIT (and I vote for a port of the running man for nostalgia purposes).

The idea would be so that you could say take some input from the user in
a form and then run all the commands to say provision a share at your
site, so that someone who knows very little about GPFS can create a
fileset, link it to the files system, and then create the SMB/NFS
shares.

Another use would be to run a range of specific "maintenance" task for
your site, again run by someone with minimal knowledge of GPFS.

Basically look at what you can do in SMIT :-)

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.