[gpfsug-discuss] Restriping GPFS Metadata

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Dec 10 15:05:16 GMT 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-10 at 14:04 +0000, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We recently moved all of our metadata off of spinning hard drives to
> SSD’s via restriping.  You can restripe only a specific pool with the
> “-P” option, so if you have only your metadata disks in the system pool
> then you can definitely do this…

You are right the restriping can be done by pool, so this is I guess
another argument for having only metadata disks in the system pool, with
an appropriate policy so that data hits other pools.

Typically/often the system pool has both metadata and data disks in, and
what Luke was referring to is the fact you can't restripe just the
metadata disks in a pool, so what should have been a relatively quick
restriping of a few hundred GB of metadata all of a sudden becomes
depending on the size of the data disks in your system pool a much
longer operation; potentially to the point where you don't bother.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.