[gpfsug-discuss] fast ACL alter solution

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Aug 12 17:35:55 BST 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 14:49 +0000, Simon Thompson (Research Computing -
IT Services) wrote:
> I thought acls could either be posix or nfd4, but not both. Set when creating the file-system?

The options for ACL's on GPFS are POSIX, NFSv4, all which is mixed
NFSv4/POSIX and finally Samba. The first two are self explanatory. The
mixed mode is best given a wide berth in my opinion.

The fourth is well lets say "undocumented" last time I checked. You can
set it, and it shows up when you query the file system but what it does
I can only speculate. Take a look at the Korn shell of mmchfs if you
doubt it exists. Try it out on a test file system with mmchfs -k samba

My guess though I have never verified it, is that it changes the
schematics of the NFSv4 ACL's to more closely match those of NTFS ACL's.
A bit like some of the other GPFS settings you can fiddle with to make
GPFS behave more like an NTFS file system.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.