[gpfsug-discuss] file system format version / software version compatibility matrix

James Davis jamiedavis at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 29 13:43:08 BST 2015

Dan,

A "new" GPFS should be able to mount and interact with file systems with
"old" versions. Specifically I do not believe you will have trouble getting
GPFS 3.5 to talk to an FS created on GPFS 3.3.0.2.

The "Concepts, planning, and install guide" provides information about
migrating to GPFS 4.1 from GPFS 3.2 or earlier; this would implies file
systems created at GPFS 3.2 being supported on GPFS 4.1, which is even more
compatibility than you are asking about. The section to which I refer is
titled "Migrating to GPFS 4.1 from GPFS 3.2 or earlier releases of GPFS".

Note that without running mmchfs -V {full|compat} you will not have access
to some of the newer GPFS features. See the section titled "Completing the
migration to a new level of GPFS", also in the concepts guide.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Jamie Davis
GPFS Functional Verification Test (FVT)