[gpfsug-discuss] Experiences upgrading in place to GPFS 4.1?

Garrison, E Chris ecgarris at iu.edu
Thu Apr 16 21:33:59 BST 2015

Hello,

My site is working up to upgrading our paired GridScaler system from GPFS 3.5 to 4.1. There is a mandate to provide encryption at rest, and that's an advertised feature of 4.1. We already have over 100 TB of data, synchronously replicated between two geographically separated sites, and we have concerns about how the upgrade, as well as the application of encryption to all that data, will go.

I'd like to hear from admins who've been through this upgrade. What gotchas should we look out for? Can it easily be done in place, or would we need some extra equipment to "slosh" our data to and from so that it is written to an encrypted GPFS?

Thank you for your time, and for any sage advice on this process.

Chris
--
Chris Garrison
Indiana University