[gpfsug-discuss] Monitoring capacity and health status for a multitude of GPFS clusters

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 17:05:11 BST 2015

Thanks for your replies. I can definitely appreciate the the goal of
improving management of components, and I agree that if GPFS will be using
within other products (which it is and will continue to be), then it would
be great for those products to be able to manage GPFS via an interface.

My fear with the idea of the above mentioned as a prereq is that the
"improvement" of management might looks like an improvement when you only
have 1 or 2 tiers of storage and 1 or 2 filesets called "database" and
another fileset called "user files", but if you have hundreds or thousands
of filesets and several tiers of storage, with both GSS and non-GSS systems
in the same cluster, then the GUI may actually be more cumbersome than the
original method. So, I just want to voice an opinion that we should
continue to be able to configure / maintain / monitor GPFS in a programatic
/ scriptable non-point-and-click way, if possible.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Christian Bolik <BOLIK at de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Zach,
>
> I'm not aware of any intent to make TPC or any other Tivoli/IBM product a
> prereq for GPFS, and I don't think any such plans exist.  Rather, as Dean
> also pointed out, we're investing work to improve integration of
> GPFS/Spectrum Scale into other products being members of the newly
> announced IBM Spectrum Storage family, with the goal of improving
> manageability of the individual components (rather than worsening it...).
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>
> > Christian:
> > Interesting and thanks for the latest news.
> >
> > May I ask: Is there an intent moving forward that TPC and / or other
> Tivoli
> > products will be a required part of GPFS?
> > The concern I have is that GPFS is pretty straightforward at the moment
> and
> > has very logical requirements to operate (min servers, quorum, etc),
> > whereas there are many IBM products that require two or three more
> servers
> > just to manage the servers managing the service.. too much. It would be
> > nice to make sure, going forward, that the core of GPFS can still
> function
> > without additional web servers, Java, a suite of middleware, and a
> handful
> > of DB2 instance .. :)
> >
> > -Zach
>
> Christian Bolik
>
> Software Defined Storage Development
>
> IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH, Hechtsheimer Str. 2, 55131
> Mainz, Germany
> Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
> Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
> HRB 243294

Zach Giles
zgiles at gmail.com