[gpfsug-discuss] Monitoring capacity and health status for a multitude of GPFS clusters

Christian Bolik BOLIK at de.ibm.com
Mon Apr 13 14:11:01 BST 2015

Hi Zach,

I'm not aware of any intent to make TPC or any other Tivoli/IBM product a
prereq for GPFS, and I don't think any such plans exist.  Rather, as Dean
also pointed out, we're investing work to improve integration of
GPFS/Spectrum Scale into other products being members of the newly
announced IBM Spectrum Storage family, with the goal of improving
manageability of the individual components (rather than worsening it...).

Cheers,
Christian

> Christian:
> Interesting and thanks for the latest news.
>
> May I ask: Is there an intent moving forward that TPC and / or other
Tivoli
> products will be a required part of GPFS?
> The concern I have is that GPFS is pretty straightforward at the moment
and
> has very logical requirements to operate (min servers, quorum, etc),
> whereas there are many IBM products that require two or three more
servers
> just to manage the servers managing the service.. too much. It would be
> nice to make sure, going forward, that the core of GPFS can still
function
> without additional web servers, Java, a suite of middleware, and a
handful
> of DB2 instance .. :)
>
> -Zach

Christian Bolik

Software Defined Storage Development

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH, Hechtsheimer Str. 2, 55131
Mainz, Germany
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294