[gpfsug-discuss] Monitoring capacity and health status for a multitude of GPFS clusters

Christian Bolik BOLIK at de.ibm.com
Fri Apr 10 12:24:14 BST 2015

Just wanted to let you know that recently GPFS support has been added to
TPC, which is IBM's Tivoli Storage Productivity Center (soon to be renamed
to IBM Spectrum Control). As of now, TPC allows GPFS administrators to get
answers to the following questions, across any number of GPFS clusters
which have been added to TPC:

- Which of my clusters are running out of free space?
- Which of my clusters or nodes have a health problem?
- Which file systems and pools are running out of capacity?
- Which file systems are mounted on which nodes?
- How much space is occupied by snapshots? Are there any very old,
potentially obsolete ones?
- Which quotas are close to being exceeded or have already been exceeded?
- Which filesets are close to running out of free inodes?
- Which NSDs are at risk of becoming unavailable, or are unavailable?
- Are the volumes backing my NSDs performing OK?
- Are all nodes fulfilling critical roles in the cluster up and running?
- How can I be notified when nodes go offline or file systems fill up
beyond a threshold?

There's a short 6-minute video available on YouTube which shows how TPC
helps answering these questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Esk5U_cYw8&feature=youtu.be

For more information about TPC, please check out the product wiki on
developerWorks: http://ibm.co/1adWNFK

Thanks,
Christian Bolik
IBM Storage Software Development