[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS File Heat

Bob Oesterlin oester at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:05:03 BST 2014

As Sven suggests, this is easy to gather once you turn on file heat. I run
this heat.pol file against a file systems to gather the values:

-- heat.pol --

define(DISPLAY_NULL,[CASE WHEN ($1) IS NULL THEN '_NULL_' ELSE varchar($1)
END])

rule fh1 external list 'fh' exec ''
rule fh2 list 'fh' weight(FILE_HEAT) show( DISPLAY_NULL(FILE_HEAT) || '|'
|| varchar(file_size) )

-- heat.pol --

Produces output similar to this:

/gpfs/.../specFile.pyc 535089836 5892
/gpfs/.../syspath.py 528685287 806
/gpfs/---/bwe.py 528160670 4607

Actual GPFS file path redacted :)

After that it's a relatively straightforward process to go thru the values.
There is no documentation on what the values really mean, but it does give
you some overall indication of which files are getting the most hits.

I have other information to share; drop me a note at my work email:

robert.oesterlin at nuance.com

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Storage Engineer, Nuance Communications