[gpfsug-discuss] question about why unix extensions = no is recommended when using samba + gpfs?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:45:01 GMT 2014

Hi,

We tried the nfsv4 acl route and it didn't work out so well for us when
files/directories would get promoted to nfsv4 acl's (but maybe I'll revisit
it when I get a chance), I had unix extensions turned off at that time.
We're using for our main template share :

vfs objects = shadow_copy2 gpfs acl_xattr fileid
gpfs:acl = no

to pass acl's to acl_xattr and it seems to work ok and tivoli is able to
backup the security.NTACL extended attribute and restore it without
problems. It'll end up using posix ACLs assigning default acl's for the
users/groups that are assigned to the files/dirs . All of it breaks umask
and other things though, which isn't that big of a deal with samba's
ability to force modes for particular shares.

Regarding unix extensions, it seems there are problems either way (or
perhaps were?), but the problems may be "more" severe if unix extensions
are turned off?

http://wiki.phys.ethz.ch/readme/mac_samba

I'll need to do some more testing with the latest OSX in that case since it
looks like many of these posts were written years ago. We are also running
the latest stable samba 4.1.x from sernet. But it's good to know that unix
extensions = no is not because of some requirement in GPFS.

Thanks,
Sabuj