[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and Lustre on same node

Vic Cornell viccornell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 18:15:30 BST 2014

Disclaimers - I work for DDN - we sell lustre and GPFS. I know GPFS much better than I know Lustre.

The biggest difference we find between GPFS and Lustre is that GPFS - can usually achieve 90% of the bandwidth available to a single client with a single thread.

Lustre needs multiple parallel streams to saturate - say an Infiniband connection.

Lustre is often faster than GPFS and often has superior metadata performance - particularly where lots of files are created in a single directory.

GPFS can support Windows - Lustre cannot. I think GPFS is better integrated and easier to deploy than Lustre - some people disagree with me.

Regards,

Vic