[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and Lustre on same node

Jeremy Robst jpro at bas.ac.uk
Fri Aug 8 12:40:00 BST 2014

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Salvatore Di Nardo wrote:

> Now, skipping all this GSS rant, which have nothing to do with the file
> system anyway  and  going back to my question:
>
> Could someone point the main differences between GPFS and Lustre?

I'm looking at making the same decision here - to buy GPFS or to roll our
own Lustre configuration. I'm in the process of setting up test systems,
and so far the main difference seems to be in the that in GPFS each server
sees the full filesystem, and so you can run other applications (e.g
backup) on a GPFS server whereas the Luste OSS (object storage servers)
see only a portion of the storage (the filesystem is striped across the
OSSes), so you need a Lustre client to mount the full filesystem for
things like backup.

However I have very little practical experience of either and would also
be interested in any comments.

Thanks

Jeremy
--
jpro at bas.ac.uk | (work) 01223 221402 (fax) 01223 362616
Unix System Administrator - British Antarctic Survey