[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and Lustre on same node

Salvatore Di Nardo sdinardo at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 8 10:53:36 BST 2014

Well, i didn't wanted to start a rant against IBM, and I'm referring
specifically to GSS.

Since GSS its an appliance, we have to refer to GSS support for both
hardware and software issues. Hardware support in total crap. It took 1
mounth of chasing and shouting to get a drawer replacement that was
causing some issues. Meanwhile 10 disks in that drawer got faulty.
Finally we got the drawer replace but the disks are still faulty. Now
its 3 days i'm triing to get them fixed or replaced ( its not clear if
they disks are broken of they was just marked to be replaced because of
the drawer). Right now i dont have any answer about how to put them
online ( mmchcarrier don't work because it recognize that the disk where
not replaced)

There are also few other cases ( gpfs related)  open that are still not
answered. I have no experience with direct GPFS support, but if i open a
case to GSS for a GPFS problem, the cases seems never get an answer.

The only reason that GSS is working its because _*I*_**installed it
spending few months studying gpfs. So now I'm wondering if its worth at
all rely in future on the whole appliance concept.

I'm wondering if in future its better just purchase the hardware and
install GPFS by our own, or in alternatively even try Lustre.

Now, skipping all this GSS rant, which have nothing to do with the file
system anyway  and  going back to my question:

Could someone point the main differences between GPFS and Lustre?

I found some documentation about Lustre and i'm going to have a look,
but oddly enough have not found any practical comparison between them.