[gpfsug-discuss] question about why unix extensions = no is recommended when using samba + gpfs?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 19:50:03 BST 2014

> It's the NFS-Ganesha server and according to the documentation it supports
> full NFSv4.1 and has GPFS support for a backend file system.

Yup, that could be a future possibility, but getting everyone who's using
the system to move to non-posix ACLs (whom I have no control over) won't
work. NFSv3 and POSIX + POSIX extended ACLs aren't going anywhere soon
because of their simplicity and availability.

> I never cease to be amazed that people are doing large scale file servers
> with Linux/GPFS/Samba and don't have a test/dev cluster.

We do, using it for testing hasn't been necessary since our production
system was our test system since it wasn't being used in production, the
samba part is still only being used very minimally and we've done as much
testing as we could prior to letting a few users on who discovered some of
these problems that we've worked around.