[gpfsug-discuss] question about why unix extensions = no is recommended when using samba + gpfs?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:05:51 BST 2014

So I've been using the recommended gpfs:acl = yes mode for a while on
windows/cifs/smb only shares and today came across a bug where Microsoft
Office (2010, haven't tried other versions) on Windows 7/8 refuses to save
or save as. It can clearly create tmp files (e.g. those ~$... files when it
opens a file) and I can right click -> create a new file, edit files in
notepad/wordpad, drag and drop files between explorer windows but whenever
I try to save a doc/docx or xls/xlsx file it always throws the error dialog
:

There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection
may be lost. (mapped drive:\folder\fileName.docx)

( OK )   ( Help )

Was this information helpful?

If i switch to gpfs:acl = no and then use vfs_acl_xattr instead it works
fine. MS Office on OSX does not have this problem

It's similar to this issue :

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014299075

Anyone have any ideas without having to use acl_xattr? Again I'm using
sernet samba 4.1.6 and gpfs 3.5.0.11 .

Thanks,
Sabuj