[gpfsug-discuss] Moving/copying files from one file system to another

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Oct 30 12:47:07 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 11:31 -0400, Richard Lefebvre wrote:

[SNIP]

> Also, another question, under what condition a scatter allocation better
> then cluster allocation. We currently have a cluster of 650 nodes all
> accessing the same 230TB gpfs file system.

Scatter allocation is better in almost all circumstances. Basically by
scattering the files to all corners you don't get hotspots where just a
small subset of the disks are being hammered by lots of accesses to a
handful of files, while the rest of the disks sit idle.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.