[gpfsug-discuss] Copying ACLs from outside sources

Fosburgh,Jonathan jfosburg at mdanderson.org
Wed Oct 2 21:44:55 BST 2013

Hello, I'm new to this list, as well as GPFS.

We have new (installed over the last 6 weeks) GPFS cluster that we are currently trying to get into service.  The NSDs are running on Red Hat (6 NSDs), the storage is DCS3700 directly attached via SAS.  We are running GPFS 3.5.0.12.

Some of the data that will be placed on this cluster will be existing data coming from other sources, one of which is our NAS (Isilon, supporting both NFS and CIFS).  We have tried a few different ways of copying the data.  First we tried to rsync directly between an NSD and one of the Isilon nodes.  Unfortunately, it appears the rsync doesn't work with the ACL format used on the Isilon.  We have also tried using various methods of copying data via CIFS, but we continue to have no luck getting ACLs to copy.  We know that, for instance, copying data via CIFS into the Isilon using robocopy will preserve the ACLs, and we were hoping that would work for getting data onto GPFS as well.  However, the ACLs are being stripped and replaced with whatever ACL is present on GPFS.  Does anyone have experience doing something like that who can give me some pointers on what my configuration should look like? I assume there are samba and/or GPFS parameters that need to be tweaked in order to make this work, especially since this functionality would have to be present in SONAS.