[gpfsug-discuss] Who uses TSM to archive HSMd data (inline) ?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Mar 1 10:16:08 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 09:13 +0000, Luke Raimbach wrote:
> I really hope this isn’t a problem as I will want to end up doing
> this.

I imagine the notion is that if you are using HSM what do you gain from
archiving so why do it...

The traditional answer would be to reduce the number of files in the
file system, but with faster backup clients and now policy based
reconciliation that requirement should be much reduced.

> Does it do in-line copy when you backup TSM HSMd data using TSM?
> Surely it does?

That is not as useful as you might imagine. With the smart recalls that
TSM 6.3 can do if you have the space you are probably better recalling
them before the backup.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.