[gpfsug-discuss] software RAID?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Jul 10 10:46:02 BST 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 09:18 -0700, Sven Oehme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in case you are not aware of it, GPFS itself provides declustered
> distributed Software Raid capabilities with end-to-end checksum and
> many other features.
> it ships in form of a pre-canned Solution, take a look at
> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/hardware/largescale/gpfsstorage/

There is a world of difference between a tightly integrated system like
that where every component down to the rack is controlled by a single
vendor, and random JBOD expansion enclosure with random x86 server,
random interconnect and random version of Linux.

Noting of course where I work anything that comes in a vendor specified
rack is a big problem due to the fact we use our own racks with water
cooling.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.