[gpfsug-discuss] software RAID?

orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 9 15:54:50 BST 2013

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Pete Smith wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Slightly nuts question, I know ... but is anyone using software RAID?
>
> Our test rig has only 0, 1 or 10 as an option. And we'd like to use 6,
> obviously.

Hmm - for shared storage, or for a single-node disk server? If it's shared
storage, I can imagine challenges with ensuring consistency across
multiple servers - there'd presumably be no mirroring of in-flight or
cached information between servers using the shared storage.

If it's just one server connected to the disks you'd dodge that - though
you'd want to be sure about consistency of data on disk in the event of a
sudden server failure (power cut, etc). If you give it a go, I'd be
interested to see how you get on with it.

> TIA
>
> --
> Pete Smith
> DevOp/System Administrator
> Realise Studio
> 12/13 Poland Street, London W1F 8QB
> T. +44 (0)20 7165 9644
>
> realisestudio.com

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.