[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and both Samba and NFS

Sven Oehme oehmes at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 13 18:14:45 GMT 2013

Orlando,

give that there are so many emails/interest on this topic in recent month,
let me share some personal expertise on this :-)

any stock Samba or CTDB version you will find any distro is not sufficient
and it doesn't matter which you choose (SLES, RHEL or any form of debian
and any version of all of them).
the reason is that Samba doesn't have the GPFS header and library files
included in its source, and at compile time it dynamically
enables/disables all GPFS related things based on the availability of the
GPFS packages . as non of the distros build machines have GPFS installed
all this packages end up with  binaries in their rpms which don't have the
required code enabled to properly support GPFS and non of the vfs modules
get build either.

the only way to get something working (don't get confused with officially
Supported) is to recompile the CTDB src packages AND the Samba src
packages on a node that has GPFS already installed. also the inclusion of
CTDB into Samba will not address this, its just a more convenient
packaging.

Only if the build happens on such a node things like the vfs modules for
GPFS are build and included in the package.

said all this the binaries alone are only part of the Solution, after you
have the correct packages, you need to properly configuration the system
and setting all the right options (on GPFS as well as on CTDB and
smbd.conf), which unfortunate are very System configuration specific, as
otherwise you still can end up with data corruption if not set right.

also some people in the past have used a single instance of Samba to
export shares over CIFS as they believe its a safe alternative to a more
complex CTDB setup. also here a word of caution, even if you have a single
instance of Samba running on top of GPFS you are exposed to potential data
corruption if you don't use the proper Samba version (explained above) and
the proper configuration, you can skip CTDB For that, but you still
require a proper compiled version of Samba with GPFS code installed on the
build machine.

to be very clear the problem is not GPFS, its that Samba does locking AND
caching on top of the Filesystem without GPFS knowledge if you don't use
the right code/config to 'tell' GPFS about it, so GPFS can not ensure data
consistency, not even on the same physical node for data thats shared over
CIFS.

there are unfortunate no shortcuts.

i also have to point out that if you recompile the packages and configure
everything correctly this is most likely to work, but you won't get
official support for the CIFS part of this setup from IBM.

This email is not an official Statement/Response of IBM, see it as
personal 'AS-IS' Information sharing.

Sven